Monday, January 21, 2008

I've Got Depression on the Run :P

Everybody's blog I read talks about depression.  I have to admit to my own battle and some very hopeless moments. January is truly a "dark" month, both figuratively and literally. Not only does the "let down" from Christmas occur, but all those nasty bugs are going around. My house has been hit with the stomach flu. Jenna was the victim on Saturday and Sunday, and Tyler is home with it today. I am hoping to bypass the whole mess, but I know my percentage chance is slim....so now I just wait.

One of the things I am using to fight depression is running. Even though the wintry weather has put a major stop to the outdoor running, I have been logging some miles on my treadmill. I was so pent up with frustration and all around sourness, that last Thursday I ran for a full hour. The sweat was running off me like a river. My clothes were soaked clear through. It was a really good way of dealing with all those feelings....the best therapy. I honestly slept extremely well for the next three nights. Yesterday, I got on the treadmill and ran 40 minutes. It had the same effect. I slept through the night and I am very relaxed this morning. It certainly can't be hurting in the losing weight department!!!

Girlfriends, I don't know if this will work for you, but it is certainly helping me keep my sanity....hope it helps.

:) Sheri

3 comments:

Angela said...

Hey friend! Good advice! I remember the "runner's high" from my running days & boy was it awesome! Isn't morphine made from the same kind of chemical as the natural endorphines created by exercising?

I hope you're having a great day!

Love ya-
Ang

Megan said...

I also remember the runner high and I really need to start doing something. Thanks for the inspiration!! I need something to motivate me.

Megan said...

I also remember the runner high and I really need to start doing something. Thanks for the inspiration!! I need something to motivate me.