Saturday, December 15, 2007

Only in a Small Town.....

AM I CRAZY??????????  Who adds to the stress of the Christmas holidays by taking on one more project....that's right....me.  And not only do I do this to myself, but I drag my best friend into the craziness with me.  The conversation on our cells last Wednesday went something like this....

SHERI: "Angela...this is Sheri...I NEED YOUR HELP..."

[(I didn't waste anytime with the niceties of "Hello!" or "How are you doing?".  I just got straight to the heart of the matter.  I had just got back from the classroom at the elemetary school and found out, basically I (or "we" as you will soon see) had ten days to put together a five-course meal for 37-5th graders.  So I called in the "Big Guns".  My best friend and Co-General in this fight....Angela.]

Let me give you a little background about my friend, Angela.  She has just this year enrolled her girls in public school.  For the last six years, Angela has homeschooled her girls to my utter amazement and respect, but that is another blog...  She is still in the "honeymoon phase" (I call it) of parenting in partnership with educators other than herself.  She is so willing to help and "go the extra mile" in every activity involving her children.  Just an example...I have learned that "Little Debbies" work just as well as "homebaked", "slaved-over" treats and the kids even recognize them more.  Angela is still trying to come up with these incredible four-hour, creative birthday masterpieces to impress the teachers and kids and to make her daughter feel special.  AAaaahhh, Angela, I have soooo much to teach you. (HAHAHAHAHA)

Back to the cell conversation....

SHERI: "The 5th grade Christmas Party is on the 20th and we need to have a planning session.  When will you be by..." 

(Notice I left her no options and nailed her on our initial stategy plan.  My dad retired a full Colonel in the Army and my blood was obviously rising to the surface.  My motto was "Show No Mercy".)

ANGELA:  "I...uh....am on my way to Joplin...."

SHERI:  "You can swing by here on your way home, can't you??" I asked with a little whine in my voice.

ANGELA:  "I have to pick up Hannah from school..."

SHERI:  "Bring her with you..."

ANGELA:  "O.K....."

Snagged, hook, line, and sinker!!!!!  I have to admit, there has been no hesitation on her part, and she has jumped into this project with determination....even though this is the absolutely worse time of the year to add one more task.So, again, tonight with another 1 1/2 hour planning session.....this time I picked up her girls from school (Notice the tactical maneuver, with the small favor completed....*laugh, laugh*).  We made up a shopping list of all necessary items and discussed serving and decorations.  We have since enlisted the help of both our husbands and I even recruited my mother-in-law to serve.....she is such a jewel!!!

I stopped by our local meat locker on the way.  The butcher just happens to be my husband's cousin somewhere in the line of the family.  Don't ask me to explain the connection.....I have been married to this man for over seventeen years and still don't have all his family straight....for they comprise half the county.  I asked him for 10 lbs. of burger and he said "Jeff just bought ten pounds on Tuesday.....Are you sure you need another ten pounds???".....only in a small town does your butcher try to talk you out of a purchase because he knows your spouse has already been there.  I explained it to him that this was for the 5th grade Christmas party, not expecting any discount.  He gave us two-5 1/4 lb. blocks of meat.  10 1/2 pounds for $20.  He said, "Since it is for the kids....."  I thanked him profusely, threw the two rocks in the back of the Expedition for better traction in the snow.....those things are heavy.  Got home and "feat of all feats" made room in my fridge to start defrosting those "bad boys" now.

Say a prayer for us, as we try to get this project completed.....I had such high hopes of sending out christmas cards with family photos this year....I think that will have to be next year....but I may just send one to the butcher.

1 comment:

Angela said...

**NOW** I see your true colors!! Here I thought you were being nice. Bwah-ha-ha! After all the complimentary things you said in this entry, my favorite line is still, "I even recruited my mother-in-law to serve..." Thank God!!!
Hope you handled the snow OK today. See you tomorrow!

Ang