Thursday, November 8, 2007

Weight Loss Journey

Many of you who know me, know I have very big "issues" when it comes to my weight. I honestly cannot remember a time when I have not considered myself to be overweight or "fat". I look back now at pictures of myself when I first married Jeff and really wonder why in the world I was so hard on myself. I was probably around 125 pounds and 5 feet, 4 inches. I think a big part of the problem is poor self image and self esteem. I have always been called "cute" when I was little. Another thing that was drummed into me as a child is "It's hereditary". Looking in the mirror, I never matched those bodies on any of the magazines or television shows.

This past year, I lost my grandmother to colon cancer. In the process of caring for her (which I never will regret), I really let myself go and did a large amount of stress eating. I spent hours at the hospital and worried how my family was coping at home. I ended up on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medicines, along with my everyday hypothyroid problems that slow my metabolism. It was a recipe (HA!HA!) for some really big weight gain.

I topped out at 185 pounds and was so depressed about my body. It took me two months to get drug free. After that, I was desperate and knew I needed some outside help....someone to which I was accountable. I called the Jenny Craig number on television....I always liked Valerie Bertenelli. I could identify with her weight gain in the busyness of everyday living.

I went in and met Sharon, my Jenny Craig consultant at their store in Joplin. She was so kind and supportive. She is truly a gift from God. She listened to all my past trials and has been instrumental in educating me on proper eating and portions. I have never been a big fan of vegetables, but I know now that is something I have to get over. I love Jenny Craig's brownies!!

I have also started taking my vitamins religiously. I have not been sick this whole time and have more energy.

After trying to master the eating part of the program for three weeks, I started back running. I love to run, but when you are overweight, it poses a whole new set of challenges. I started slow and walk/jogged for my first 5 km. It was a horrible time (around 32 minutes), but I knew it could only get better. Another encouragement has been my Ipod. I got online and purchased all these really "mean" running songs that get my pace up and keeps me entertained.

I am currently on Week 15 and I have lost 30 pounds. My running time for a 5 km has improved to under 27 minutes. My goal weight is to be 130 pounds by my 40th birthday in April and run my 5 km in a little over 24 minutes. My family has been super supportive, and my self esteem is much better. I am still working on the part of myself.

One thing I know for a fact is my Grandmother would never have wanted me to not take care of myself. She was always hard on herself, too, but took great pride in her appearance. So this one is for you, Grandma.

To all of you out there who are struggling with weight....take heart....if I can do it, anyone can and just get out there and "Just Do It".

2 comments:

Angela said...

You go goirl! You've come a long way, baby!! Just do it!!! (Can you think of any others?) Watching you continue to eat right, exercise and change your habits amidst the big & little trials you've faced over the past few months has inspired me. Keep it up--40 is the new 20, right???
Love ya! Ang

Megan said...

You inspire me Sherry!! I have started running again and yesterday I was able to run 1 1/2 miles without stopping!! It felt good and I am excited about getting an i pod and the Nike chip. Thanks for everything you have done to encourage me to run. I want you to know that I am going to start training for a half marathon. It is not until Sept 11, 2008 in Olatha. So I have 11 months to train. If I could do this it would mean more to me than most people would ever know. I had always dreamed of being a marathon runner but I lost sight of my goals and my dreams. I am not saying I will ever be a "marathon" runner now, but I think with the right mind set and lots of training I could tackle 13.1 miles!! Who cares if I come in dead last!! So thanks for your constant inspiration. You are amazing!! And congrats on reaching the 30# mark.
Love
Megan