Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ty, My Son


Tyler Shane was born into the world on a hot day in June in 1991. I just knew from birth, that this little boy was destined for great things. His little 7 pound 8 ounce body was so precious. I broke down in tears at the incredible joy of his arrival. The pediatrician that examined him at birth devastated us with news that Tyler had a hole in one of his heart ventricles. Jeff and I were petrified, but a week later his heart had miraculously finished developing and he was proclaimed perfect by the same doctor.

Even at birth this little boy took us from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows and back to the highs again and has been doing it ever since.

Ty hardly spoke when he was little. He would just point to whatever he wanted and get his point across. He played by himself and a few hot wheels and all you would hear for hours was "Vroom...vroom". He was never demanding. He was a very easy child as a baby and a toddler.

When Ty hit kindergarten, I became aware of this incredible gift that Tyler has. He was packing up his favored "Power Rangers" and "Tonka trucks" in his backpack for Show and Tell.

I asked him,"Ty, what are you doing?...You know you are only allowed one toy for Show and Tell."

Tyler was "dutchy" when little and always used the least amount of words possible.
"I take extras for other kids, ...They don't have toys...I share mine." he said.

I promise you, I had always known he was special, but that conversation confirmed it. A five year old, who would willingly give up his coveted toys, showed me an incredible amount of compassion and a spirit of giving that surpassed my own and many adults.

That same five-year-old child made me see red when he came home from school one day with this whopper of a tale about some 6th grader pushing him down on the playground. I marched down to the elementary school with righteous indignation ready to do battle with principal (poor Bob Harris), teacher, parents, and one very soon-to-be-sorry 6th grader. Upon finding out he was lying, I forced out apologies and was mortified that I had helped create this storyteller who was fabricating lies. (Please note that this was the year Jenna was born and I believe someone (Ty) was wanting a little attention).

Earlier this year, a mother was never prouder, as my son accepted his Eagle in Boy Scouts after years of hard work and dedication put forth by Tyler and his Dad. Ty has many friends and his peers tend to gravitate to him, because he is so quiet and unassuming.

Currently, I am feeling sorry for myself in a situation with my son. After spending two hours in Parent-Teacher conferences last night and a very sleepless, frustrated night, I came to the realization that this must be how God feels when he deals with me. I am my son's advocate....I am his teacher...and now I must be his authority and his taskmaster. Tyler is not doing well in school and it is my responsibility to push him to do what he needs to do. Again, with the highs and lows and then highs.

Our final meet last night was with one of Ty's teachers that identifies with Ty's talents and specialness. She really gave me the hope I needed after recieving several reports of how poorly Ty was doing. While I don't look forward to being the "bad guy" and I am very weary (this has been going on for many years during his education), I refuse to give up on him. Do I believe he is still special and destined for great things............most definitely YES!!!

1 comment:

Angela said...

Excellent! And, yes yes yes Ty is destined for great things. Hang in there! By the way, Einstein had difficulties with speech in his early years and clashed with teachers in higher grades...makes you think. You're doing great--don't let anyone tell you otherwise!
Love ya! Angela